I'm settling into my last round of yoga therapy training here in the states, in the beautiful Berkshire mountains and the crisp air is starting to warm up as spring blossoms. Sitting here I'm reminded of mountains thousands of miles away in Peru. And I'm reflecting on the reasons why I decided to collaborate with my dear friend, fellow yoga therapist and healer, Katie Randall, to co-host the Sacred Valley Plant Cleanse Retreat Sept 7-17th 2018. I've come up with seven reasons, and lots of photos below!
Last year was the first time Katie invited a group of us to join her at Yoga Mandala in Peru to learn from her Peruvian family and Shapibo grandmother Shaman. I had the honor of being a there and it was an incredibly powerful experience. It was such a rich experience and I felt so deeply supported. When I was asked to co-host this year's 10 day retreat I didn't hesitate and here's why:
- This is a gathering for the leader in us all. I strongly believe in conscious leadership as a powerful tool for social change and breaking intergenerational patterns. This is a space to cultivate a more mindful approach to our work, community and our own body (so we can avoid burn out!)
- We will be learning and guided by people of color, particularly an intergenerational group of Peruvian Medicine Women.
- Many indigenous cultures around the world have used plant medicines for generations, as part of their journey towards deeper spiritual awakening and healing. This is a unique chance to participate in two Ayahuasca ceremonies and a Washuma (aka San Pedro) ceremonial hike on a section of the Inca trail.
- We will experience some of Peru's most powerful healing modalities - Temazcal (sweat lodge), plant baths, coca leaf readings, nature and sacred site hikes etc. - in a safe deeply held space.
- We are creating space for introspection - a pause from the 'urgent & important' of our daily lives to build on the aspects of growth that are equally important but don't always get prioritized.
- We will experience what it is like to have a consistent self-care routine including rest, yoga, meditation and three delicious (really delicious!) vegetarian meals daily.
- We are being hosted by a beautifully intimate retreat center, Yoga Mandala, nestled near a waterfall and many Wakas (sacred sites) in one of the most powerful places on earth.
Love & Light,